Tuesday, December 29, 2020

A Trove of Treasures #SOL20

I was introduced to a trove of treasures close to home that I never knew existed.  There is a short secret garden path nestled between two neighborhoods just off of a major route in town.  It was created and is currently maintained by Bob Terkanian, also known as Chief Joseph.  Everywhere you look there is a surprise.  Beautiful statues, benches, mirrors, chimes, fairy gardens, words of wisdom, and so much more greet you from above and below.  

Even nature provides wonder.  The ice formations along the pond are stunning, and crystals pop up along the path.  The beavers even left their mark along the trail.  While they cut down trees for their dams, Chief Joseph continues to plant new trees and shrubs along the path.  A burbling stream runs through the trail, and it blocks out the traffic noises from the nearby roads.   I felt as if I had been transferred to another place.  


The path leads you right up to Chief Joseph’s house, which has a beautiful deck overlooking the area.  I imagine the joy he must feel listening to the voices of the young and old as they take in the treasures he has provided.  


My friend and I wandered in delight for an hour and a half.  I am amazed by the thought, care, and beauty this one generous soul has shared with strangers.  It is an important reminder of the generosity and love for and in our community.  I hope to visit this trail again and some of the other wonders waiting outside.





I am participating in Two Writing Teachers' Slice of Life Weekly Challenge.

5 comments:

  1. This is truly wonderful! What a service to the community Chief Joseph provides.
    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found a great treasure! Thank you for taking me along on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, this sounds so cool! It's fantastic when people do things like this, just for the betterment of their community. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I imagine he has lots of fun curating and creating. How awesome that you found this living exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun, Heather! I want to see this. Did you really not know about it until now? What a treasure! This reminds me of the efforts of my little town to bring joy to others as they walk our rail trail -- bulbs planted, stones painted, etc... A joy! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...