Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Fish Hunting #SOL21

My first task upon entering my classroom is to hunt for this fish, not feed it but find it.  It likes to hide, usually behind the filter.  


However, yesterday, it was NOT behind the filter.  


The hunt began with me contorting my body and head to look inside the blocks in the tank.  The clerk at the store said that Betta fish like to swim through things.  He could have mentioned they also like to hide inside them.  


My face was right up to the tank with my head upside down trying to see if he had floated to the top of the block.  Ever since the day I bought him, I have been afraid he would die.  


He was not there.  I gave up for a bit and got ready for class but kept glancing over to see if he had appeared.  


Two hours passed and still no fish.  


Next round - I got my ruler, took the lid off the tank, and plunged it into the water.  I jostled the block around, but no fish came out.  I peered into the filter.  Nothing.  I looked around outside the tank thinking someone might have taken him out (grasping at straws there).  Of course, there was no sign of a fishnapping.


I sat back down feeling frustrated. I was thankful it was remote Monday because the first thing the students do when they enter class is check the fish.  


I was not sure how much time had passed, but I looked up, and there he was just hanging out in the middle of the tank.  He was alive!  



Every day, I go through this.  He torments me by hiding, blending in, and not moving.  Even when we can see him, the students want proof of life, so I take the filter out to make him move around the tank.  


Fish, who will be named soon, I’ve figured you out.  I’m putting my ruler away.  There will be no more fish hunting for me. 

 


I am excited to be participating in the Two Writing Teachers March Slice of Life Challenge!



14 comments:

  1. Your beta fish and my wood frog tadpoles can play "dead" together. They make me crazy, and my Kindergarteners make up observations to deal with the disappointment. "He has legs!" "He's pooping!" "He's snoring!" LOL! =-) -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha- he has YOU figured out and knows you need company and adventure without students in the room! I loved reading about all of your attempts to locate him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO funny! I guess fish are smarter than we give them credit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My middle son loves fish tanks and always seems to find fish I completely overlook. Maybe one of your students is a fish whisperer who will find the fish right away. And a suggestion on the name - Houdini?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those beta fish are tricky little guys. Mine liked to hang out behind the aerator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fish hunting tale is great! Who would think a fish could play such tricks on a human. Sounds like your Beta fish has a pretty good sense of humor. I'm sure he (or she) got a pretty good laugh out this :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great buildup in this slice! (I really, truly thought you were going to say the fish had died. I'm glad that's not the case!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a little Beta fish like that! Oh how I fretted that it had died, and I would have to explain this to the children. I loved this image, "The hunt began with me contorting my body ..." ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed at the 'proof of life'. Him just merely floating cannot possibly be enough - they need him to move and prove himself. I'm so glad he isn't dead - that's definitely where I thought we were headed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't owned a betta in years, but this made me kind of miss having a fish. I'm glad you will cease the fish hunt -- they do like to hide. I hope you continue to enjoy your little friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this and your last lines!
    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember doing that for years in my classroom. You are right the kids always check the tank first thing. I hope this little guy becomes more active for you and the kids! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We went through 3 Beta fish when I taught first grade... and then I gave up! I'm glad there was not a fishnapping. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post made me giggle this evening. The lengths we go through to care for things, and mainly for the benefit of children! Wishing your betta--and you--a long, happy life.

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...