Sunday, March 6, 2022

Dispersing a Generation #SOLC22

Today, I returned to my grandfather's house to pick up furniture and other items I would like to keep.  His house will be someone else's in two weeks, and his belongings are being dispersed to family members and Goodwill in preparation for the closing.  

As we turned the corner and his house came into view, I could not help but think that it looked empty and lifeless, even from the outside.  His chairs were no longer on the porch, and the wreath was no longer on the door.

When I walked into the living room, my heart caught because his chair was empty.  I guess my heart was hoping he would be sitting in the chair waiting for us.  The house was eerily quiet and pieces of it were already missing.  

There were certain things I wanted that reminded me of him, and we immediately started packing things into the car.  In reflection, I realize that I think I have something for each room - a bookshelf for Cam's room/my office, tables for our family room, glasses for the kitchen, milk glass for the dining room, a side table for the great room, Christmas carolers to store in the basement, a workbench for the shop, and even his gardener's cart for outside.  

When we were in the basement going through things, I noticed an old stool covered with a plaid shirt.  

I whispered to my brother, "I think that might be Pa's stool from his workshop."  

He responded, "It had a green seat."  

We walked over and uncovered the seat to find the old olive green padded seat from our memory.  It was the stool that my great grandfather had in his own workshop.  We had spent many hours in that shop, and if we were lucky, Pa would let us sit on his stool.  

"Todd, you take it and put it in your shop," I urged.  He was not taking much from the house, but you could see that he wanted the stool.  He looked at me with eyes that said, Are you sure?  I nodded.

He walked over, grabbed the stool, and immediately put it in his car.  

Both of our houses are full, but one can always make room for more pieces that hold memories and were touched by loved ones.  

 

Papa's medals and flag are with my dad in Florida.
Papa loved wine, and I wanted some of his wine glasses.

Pa's stool, which now resides at Todd's house.




2 comments:

  1. It is always sad to go through things belonging to someone we have lost. I hope these things continue to bring about special memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many memories that will continue to be shared because of your thoughtful selection of items that tell his story.

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...