Sunday, March 20, 2022

Food Brings Us Together #SOLC22

About six months ago, I cooked for the last time with my grandfather.  We made his pasta fagioli (I still have one container left in the freezer).  It was a special day.  He loved food, both cooking and eating it.

Yesterday, Cam and I made our last trip to his house to pick up some mattresses and a workbench.  My husband was away, and I think Cam knew I should not be alone as I was sad leaving the empty house, knowing we would never return again.  He dropped his stuff off at college and drove home to spend the night.

We went shopping to stock him up with food for the month, and we bought filet mignon to grill at home.  We cooked dinner together.  I made potatoes, and he made glazed carrots and grilled the steaks.  

We do not cook together often as he is rarely home to do so, but we worked well together in the kitchen.  Instead of bumping into each other, we weaved around each other.  It is almost like a choreographed dance.

It felt special, so I found my great Aunt Audie's china for dinner and set the table.  I poured us some wine in Papa's green wine glasses we picked up a few weeks ago.  

When we sat down, we clinked our glasses together and ate, and we talked about the future.  Cam graduates in May and already has a job lined up.  Many things will be changing for him.  

Physical pieces from Aunt Audie and Papa were with us last night, but the lessons and influences from all of our ancestors live in and through us every day.   They have shaped us, and it felt special to see those pieces and to practice them last night with my son. 





8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful parallel -- cooking with one generation (your grandfather)for the last time, and cooking with the new generation (your son). Life gives and takes away, but the memories keep us strong. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely post about time with your son in the presence of his ancestors. Special small moments is the best part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are creating memories for Cam. Cooking together and bringing pieces from your Papa and Aunt to the table.Memories like this live with our children for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! These memories are so important. I recently lost my grandmother and it's those memories that we made together that sustain me. I love how you and your son are making parallel memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a well written and well told slice from your day with your son. How special and sweet as you were able to bring your loved ones into an evening of yet another sweet memory of making dinner with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these stories of your grandfather. And now a new generation is added to the tradtions of cooking together. What a heart-felt post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a heartfelt post. I love how you connect your grandfather and son and food in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a powerful and heartfelt slice. Isn’t it interesting how food can bring us together, even when we’re so far apart? I liked your analogy of weaving around the kitchen like a choreographed dance- such imagery! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...