Tuesday, March 1, 2022

It's Been a While #SOLC22

 

Today was a long day filled with new and unexpected meetings, changes, and items that kept
me on my toes and required me to stay sharp and focused.  I left school pretty worn out,
thinking about the various things I needed to get done at home before I could plop myself
down on the couch.

I walked into the house with little time to spare before I needed to hop onto Zoom for a tutoring session.  As I ascended the steps into the kitchen, I was greeted by a dozen roses standing on a clean, shiny counter.  

“Wow!” I gasped.  “It’s been a long time since I came home to flowers.”  

I hugged my husband.  He always knows when I need a boost, and he tends to surprise me when I least expect it.  

I sat down across from the flowers with a smile on my face, thinking again that it had been a long time since Scott had given me flowers.  

Then, a thought crept into my mind, and I said, “Daisy is not here to eat them.”  Our cat died two weeks ago from congestive heart failure.  

She loved to chomp on any type of plant, and we limited what we brought into the house because we did not want her to get sick.  

Scott smiled tentatively and stated, “That’s why I bought you flowers.”

I sat there wistfully, and for the first time, I was able to think about Daisy without crying.  Instead, I remembered her crazy love for flowers. 

I am excited to be participating in the Two Writing Teachers March Slice of Life Challenge!


2 comments:

  1. Heather, your husband sounds like a very, very dear man. Such a thoughtful gift, such a loving thing to do. So sorry about your dear cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post. And those roses are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...