Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Let's Boogie! #SOLC22

 

Where are the students?  Why they are in the midst of a preposition boogie, or more specifically the "under the chair" move.  

I try to incorporate movement whenever I can to engage more parts of the brain during learning.  

Today, my students started to write instructions on how to build a simple Lego figure.  They love this writing activity, and it is a great opportunity to teach the importance of description and the function of words, such as prepositions.  

As a warm-up, I had the students participate in a preposition boogie with their chairs before they started to plan the steps.  As I called out statements, they moved in unison to the same places.

"Students stand behind your chair."  They moved.

"Students stand next to your chair."  They moved.  

When I asked them what word or words were causing them to move in the same way, I heard, "Behind!  Next to!"  And then the dance went on.

A few moves later, I called, "Students move under your chair!"  

They responded, "Under!"  Then, I saw nine bodies drop to the floor.  They squirmed and giggled while I smiled.  

After a few minutes, I yelled their next move, "Around the chair."  I watched and listened.  Some students scooted right out and started circling their chairs.  Others yelled, "Hey, I'm stuck."  With a little assistance from their friends, they joined those still moving around their chairs.  

"Students sit on your chair!"

Many students sat and sighed, "Oh man!"  One student placed his behind on the back of his chair and feet on the seat until I stated, "Sit on the seat of your chair."  

Now, they are warmed up to begin their partner writing exercise.  As I watched them move into their spots to work, I can't help but wonder if anyone may have walked by and wondered What is going on in Heather's class?






5 comments:

  1. Yay for making time for movement and fun! We all need that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they did and that they give this a try in their classroom. What a great way to help with grammar while doing some movement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds absolutely glorious! I want to be in your class! What a great warm up to writers workshop! I can see the kids listening and thinking with every direction to boogie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea!! How fun for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is what makes learning fun and stick!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...