Monday, March 21, 2022

Lunch Ladies Rule #SOLC22

A few years ago, my co-teacher and I started a healthy meal swap.  We cooked two different meals on the weekend and brought in 5 servings of each, which meant our lunches were prepped for the week and 5 dinners for the week for the busiest of nights.  

This practice has evolved over the years.  Now, we have 5 teachers who participate.  We each prepare 5 servings of one meal for each other, and we enjoy 5 different lunches during the week.  I have learned to love things I would never cook on my own, such as Brussels sprouts, spinach, eggplant, and chickpeas - just to name a few.  

I love the variety and the fact that I do not have to think about lunches for the rest of the week, but I also love the camaraderie this group has created.  We share TikToks, funny stories, and recipes in a group chat.  It has brought me closer to my colleagues and out of my classroom.

Our menu for this week includes:

  • Crustless broccoli and cheddar quiche with a side of potatoes
  • Pasta Fagioli
  • Pappardelle pasta with portobello mushroom ragu
  • Cheesy eggplant gnocchi Caprese
  • Eggplant roll-ups

Thank you Tracy Brosch for the inspiration.




4 comments:

  1. I really love this so much! My colleagues and I have talked about doing this but haven't put it into action. It's a really fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a healthy swap, it is such a good idea. It is great that you now love many vegetables, "I have learned to love things I would never cook on my own, such as Brussels sprouts, spinach, eggplant, and chickpeas - just to name a few." This may not have happened if you only cooked all your own lunches.

    Do you always have a menu? There are so many possibilities, you can share recipes of the food you each cooked for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds amazing! Our school does "lunch bunch" once a week. Everyone signs up and makes a giant lunch once a year for the rest of the staff on that one day. I don't eat a lot of meat at home, so this is my cheat day since most meals are omnivore entrees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Please share recipes if possible.

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...