Saturday, March 11, 2023

Driving in Circles #SOLC23

Thank you to David's slice "The Waiting Place" for inspiration today.  It was the model I needed to capture my Thursday night adventure into Boston with a friend to see Margaret Atwood.

Driving in Circles

We've arrived,
but not quite,
as we drive past
Sander's Theater
once, then
twice
with the traffic.

The 20 minute leeway time
we built into our journey 
dwindles from 20 minutes 
to 10 minutes

because

We can't find 
a parking garage
and the spots along the road
are for permit parking only.

There is a long line for one garage,
so we venture to another,
BUT
it is not there.
We drive past the address
once, then
twice - 
and do not see a sign for parking
or a parking garage.

Then
we realize the garage is underground.

We park.
dash through academic buildings,
round a corner,
and spot Harvard's historic hall.
We are late, so
we pick up our pace.
Our excitement soars
as we enter the building, 
grab our signed books, 
and find a seat in the balcony.

We sit and

sigh, grateful that Margaret Atwood is late.








5 comments:

  1. I could feel your sense of relief!
    Look at that beautiful space you were in... spaces like that are so inspiring to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the last line- I wasn't expecting it. And I COMPLETELY relate to 20 minutes becoming 10. Even when I factor in late minutes, I am often times at places right at the buzzer. It's a constant challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the ending and the way you set that last line off alone, "sigh, grateful Margaret Atwood is late."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could feel the stress building throughout the piece and that last line ushers in relief. I can see your shoulders lowering as you relaxed into your seat awaiting her arrival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, I was not expecting this ending!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...