Friday, March 31, 2023

Orange You Glad You Wrote Today? #SOLC23

I am going to end this challenge the way I end every week--with a little writing from my time tutoring my poetry pal.  

We started our lesson today talking about shades of meaning and plotting sounds words on a continuum from quietest to loudest.  We had a great discussion about the difference between piercing and roaring and added a jingle between muffled and clatter.  We truly are kindred word nerds.

Then she chose to do some paint chip poetry.  I picked out 6 random paint chips and a prompt card.  Our poetry palette is pictured below.  


She wrote a poem about school memories each name inspired, and I wrote about a fictional school scenario.

School Days

I walked into school
after having sucked in the largest breath of fresh air,
bracing myself for another day
inside the confining concrete walls.

I entered the classroom
to find kids flitting about screaming
all because a yellow jacket
was buzzing around a light.

Papers littered the tables and floor,
chairs were toppled-
it looked like the innards of the classroom
had spontaneously combusted.

I froze and stared,
tongue-tied as
one student greeted me,
"Mrs. Morris, orange you glad you came to school today?"



There is no better way to end a week than with a student who loves words and poetry as much as I do.  







5 comments:

  1. What a fun way to write a narrative poem. I love that last line! It captures the playfulness of children and the poem! Interesting paint colors. I would never have guessed spontaneous combustion as a red! Fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is that? I love that you have a poetry pal and that you are both word nerds. IT must be fun meeting together with her. Is it during the school hours or after? I love your paint chip poem, and I can imagine how the story came to you as you looked over the pieces and tried to tie them altogether. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great and so creative to weave the paint colors into a fun poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun slice and way to end the month of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I like how the student added on to the paint chip names to create the poem.

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...