Thursday, March 30, 2023

We Escape Together #SOLC23

Yesterday, I had a substitute in my class to allow me time to evaluate the data from the reading assessments I recently administered.  The students were finishing up an escape room about Edgar Allan Poe.

I was disappointed to hear that one of the boys was very distracting in his group and not helping them complete the tasks.  I decided to have a conversation with him because many students hesitate to work with him.

When we sat down, and I explained my concerns.  He admitted that he was not a good teammate.  He said, "I am just not good at escape rooms."  

I asked if he would like an alternative assignment; he said no.  He said he liked the idea of an escape room, but he felt he could not do it.

I have confessed many times to the class that if I would not escape a room on my own.   An assignment like this is about teamwork.  Each member of a team has something to contribute to the group, and I assured him that he had many strengths.  I am not sure he agreed with me on that, but he left committed to doing his best.  

With three minutes left in the period, his group came up with the lock codes for all four tasks complete.  With no help or hints, they got every code correct.  

The student started to jump and high five his group mates.  They were the first and only group to escape the room.  He came around the desk for his prize and looked at me and said, "You were right."  




3 comments:

  1. Love the support you gave this student! Also we all escape together is a wonderful message of teamwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sure sign of a well-built community! Sometimes teachers do know a thing or two! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Heather, that is precious. That a student heard from you that he could do it, then he did it and said, "You were right" is the icing on the cake of teaching! Congratulations to you, but I'm so happy for what that did to his self-esteem and his future team work. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...