Monday, March 15, 2021

Sleep Was Not My Friend #SOL21

Not too long ago, I wrote about how reading before bed seemed to be helping me fall asleep.  Well, that was not the case last night.  

I went to bed early, wiped out from a day of constant work of some sort.  I put my phone aside, picked up The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah, and started my 30 minutes of reading.  

At 10:30, I turned out the light and put my head down to sleep.  However, my eyes stayed wide open.  I was simply not going to fall asleep.

I decided to read some more, and two hours later, I was crying as I finished the book.  It took me a while to settle down, and sleep finally crept in.

Although I was exhausted this morning, I still got up to write, and I ended my morning pages with a poem.

Sleep did not want
to cooperate last night.
It had its own plans, and 
stayed out way too late.

This morning, sleep was wheedling
my eyes to stay shut
and my body to stay flat, 
but my journal was calling me.

I stole away from sleep,
knowing I might succumb to its nap later, 
but I vowed that I would 
keep it waiting until tonight.

I ended my writing session with this quote to get me through the day.

Being tired isn't anything.  What's important is the mind.  You can get over the body being tired by resting a half-hour or an hour.  What's important is whether the mind is tired."

- Salt Bae

I am excited to be participating in the Two Writing Teachers March Slice of Life Challenge.






5 comments:

  1. I love Kristen Hannah and I haven't read The Four Winds so... can't wait to stay up late reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit jealous, as I haven't found a book that keeps me up for quite a while. Or maybe it's because I just feel so tired at the end of most school days...either way, this librarian heartily approves of getting lost in a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it the curse of daylight savings time this time around? I've needed a nap since yesterday! Love your Slice and bonus poem. Wheedling. Love that word! -- Christie @https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like that book was a big part of your sleep problem - I find crying before sleep just sends my mind tossing and turning. Go, you - powering through this day without sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your poem. I have problems staying asleep most nights. Your sleep stayed out way too late. My sleep comes home early, then sneaks out leaving my wide awake.

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...