Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Fr-amily #SOL

A dear friend, or sister of my heart, called last night to deliver the most joyful news.  She "might" come to Thanksgiving dinner.  

I am not sure if I can fully express my joy enough for others to understand.  Whatever happens, these words, and her bravery, have stirred my heart.

It has been a long time since we have gathered.

Our fr-amily has been isolated
by diverging lives as 
our children have spread their wings
and have flown in different directions,
where once they were flying together.

Left behind,
we have all been trying to find 
our place, our purpose again,
and while one would think
this might bring us closer,
a different monster has us reeling, 
gauging, and treading a precarious landscape.

An enemy has invaded
and taken hostage one of our own,
and we are all navigating 
a new reality.
Slowly, we are finding our way
back together 
because together we can 
reclaim and celebrate the love
that has grown in this chosen family,
which will provide a respite 
from any force that might dare try
to separate us.









4 comments:

  1. I love that you have shared this reconnection in poetry, and I hope that your Thanksgiving feels like a strong, happy renewal of your relationship. I am riveted by the monster, the dark force that has caused the rift in the family - these are particularly eerie lines,
    "a different monster has us reeling,
    gauging, and treading a precarious landscape."
    Time has a way of testing our relationships. I hope this one holds dear for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for your framily news- I can feel your joy shining through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful slice. Friendship, this kind, is really special. Savor the time you spend together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather. I just opened this up tonight. Tears are streaming down my face. Your words are special. Our Fr-amily is the best. ❤️ Christine

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...