Thursday, March 23, 2023

My Special Four Corners #SOLC23


Thank you to Megan's slice for the inspiration today.  I am going to share the 4 corners that surround me for most of the day and bring me so much joy because of all the students that share the space with me.

Top left corner:  My classroom library.  This is where two books shelves stand filled with bins of books that are worn and tattered from greedy hands.  There are more books displayed on top, along with my Harry Potter Legos.  I love to sit with students to find a book for them to enjoy.

Top right corner:  Metal cabinet.  Inside the cabinet, there are word games, escape rooms, Legos, paper brown bags filled with writing inspiration, puzzles, and books.  It is a cabinet of goodies for a word nerd!

Back right corner:  A file cabinet and book shelf filled with lessons, books, and units.  19 years and 3 grades worth of lesson materials and units are housed within these drawers and upon these shelves.  On top are pictures and mementos of years of teaching and a few writing games.  In essence, it is the history of my learning and growing as a teacher and learner.

Back left corner:  The entrance.  There is a community "Where I'm from" poem written by my 8th graders handing on the door and a sign that says "We Can Do Hard Things."  I love to greet my students as they come in the door each day.  

What are in your four corners?





8 comments:

  1. I’m going to do my living room since the other rooms in my house don’t really work with an open space layout (and my job is at an animal hospital so it’s not my space really). The top right is our front door where we often our cat through the big window waiting for us. Top left is the kitchen nook where my husband creates delicious meals. Bottom right is my favorite blue chair for relaxing and resetting. Bottom left is our cat’s world of toys and tunnels where he can get lost for hours. Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our school will be renovating the space where my office is starting this spring break in a week. For this reason, I am shuffling through items and am encountering all of those things we hang onto as teachers, just in case . . . or this could be repurposed. Like those old clothes that sometimes come back into fashion (This has happened a couple times for me--like flowered prints for a minute), old lessons can find new contexts (like a budgeting lesson might work well for a gifted and talented math lesson . . . hmmm). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about your classroom. It sounds like such a welcoming space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the positive atmosphere in your welcoming space. My room is decorated in Harry Potter memorabilia, complete with floating candles - students all over the school come to see it, and I hope it sparks a little magic for them all. Learning should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful descriptions! I like your analysis of what these things stand for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely form. I love the highlights from your classroom. A room filled with literacy joy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, nice post about your sweet corners. I like Leah, like the analysis or commentary, that you added to your descriptions, like "the history of my learning and growing as a teacher and learner." and "I love to greet my students as they come in the door each day." Beautiful!

    Here are my four corners:
    In my four corners I have 1) our warm fireplace, roaring away on this cold spring evening,2) my plant corner by a window, 3) a fold up table corner and book shelf, where I sew on that table (when it’s opened) and 4) our lazyboy love seat where my husband and I sit a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...