Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Riddlanka #SOLC23

A few months ago, my writing group hosted a writing party at which we wrote riddlekus - riddle poems in the form of haiku.  It was a blast, so I took it back to my classroom and had my 8th graders write them for attendance questions.  They were a big hit, and my 6th and 7th graders often ask for more.  

We are going to read Nikki Grimes' Garvey's Choice, which is written in the tanka form.  I am going to task my writers to write a tanka poem about an important object as a riddle.  I will have days worth of attendance questions, and the students will enjoy trying to guess the objects. 

I am going to create a mentor poem here.

every morning it
patiently waits for me to 
sit, open, and share, 
thoughts trickle out of my head
between its covers, unseen

What is it?



5 comments:

  1. This is a clever riddle form. Years ago when I taught Anglo Saxon riddles I’d have students replicate the form. Many were very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Using students' poems daily, what a pleasant class community you are creating. "I will have days worth of attendance questions, and the students will enjoy trying to guess the objects."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun format! I have never heard of these before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea and love that book. I think there is a second book about Garvey, but I can't remember the name of it. I will have to try the riddlanka!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that is working, Heather. I love this idea, and I'm tickled your students enjoyed the riddlekus. That is so cute! Now, I'm sure they will like these too. I loved Garvey's Choice. I was so impressed with the great character development she managed with such a lean poetry form. Did you write a riddlanka about your journal?

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...