Thursday, March 9, 2023

Routines Disrupted #SOLC23

Three years ago, my morning routine was pushing the snooze about 5 times.

Currently, I get up an hour earlier than I need to just so I can write for 45 minutes.  Now, my morning routine is sacred to me. 

I write my to do list in my Passion Planner.

I write my morning pages, which include my intentions for the day.

If I have time, I update my One Question a Day Journal.

No matter how tired I am, I show up to the page.  It has even spilled over to the weekend.

Today, however, I needed to break that routine, and it is has put me into a bit of a tizzy.  I have absolutely no time to write tonight.  I have rehearsal after school, and then I am attending our district's Science of Reading book club.  Directly from there, I am heading into Boston with a friend to see Margaret Atwood speak.  

I was (and still am) excited to see her, but I have to admit that excitement was dampened by the disruption in my routines.  As I was planning my day, I realized that I do not have any time to write tonight, and since I made a commitment to myself that I would slice every day, I needed to figure out a way to make that happen.

When I realized the only time I had to write it was this morning, I got a bit distraught because my morning pages really help me prepare myself for the day.  I feel a bit lost without that time and space to dump my thoughts and clear my mind.  

While it took me about 15 minutes to accept this change, I am here--writing on a virtual page--sharing the inner workings of my mind.  




5 comments:

  1. Oh, how I can relate to this post! My day just isn't right if I don't get my quiet hour in the morning to think and read and write before the hectic day begins. If anything, your experience has shown you how important your writing time is for your well-being. I hope you are able to get back on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if it is any consolation, I think it made for a good slice and you are handling it beautifully! - Erica J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally relate! I need these writing routines and March puts a twist in it overall. It is so hard to find time for it all and the balance needed. Hopefully you will feel "back on track" tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my morning routines switch, my whole day feels off too. I relate to writing being a way to settle myself. I am a bit jealous that you are seeing Margaret Atwood- wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed by your discipline. I wish you could bottle it and sell some to me! I can't wait to hear about day! I am sure there is a slice or two or three...

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...