Sunday, April 2, 2023

If We Were Having Coffee Today #VerseLove

 I am participating in Ethical ELA's #Verse Love where we write a poem a day for the entire month of April to celebrate National Poetry Month.  Thank you to Kim Johnson for today's inspiration--Weekend Coffee Share Poem.  

This poem is for all of the writers and teacher writers that have touched my life.  

If We Were Having Coffee or a Diet Coke

If we were having coffee today,
I would stand up to hug you, 
but ask if you were a hugger first;
my excitement would be palpable.

If we were having coffee today,
I'd tell you I've been building
a new nest over the past three years
out of pens, morning pages, slices, and verse.

I'd tell you 
it has been sad and lonely
at times
but your words
are filling the spaces
between the twigs.  


If we were having coffee today, 
I'd say thank you
for this community of writers;
it has changed my life.


1 comment:

  1. If we were having coffee, I would tell you how much I love the nest metaphor, especially the lines, but your words/are filling the spaces/between the twigs. I would also tell you that I am so glad we met!

    ReplyDelete

Poop Notes #SOL

I hate when the kids leave.  I fight to keep the tears at bay.  I strive to stay productive.  However, a blanket of sadness usually wraps ar...